Thursday, October 23, 2008

Vegan Cookbook Favorites

Cookbooks

This is our cookbook shelf. Lotsa fantastic cookbooks up there, including a really neat letterpress one I bought Chuck for christmas last year from an etsy seller, artnoose. Anyway, my five favorite cookbooks are listed below. I'm counting all the Isa Chandra books together to be fair to the rest of the shelf. In no particular order, these are the cookbooks I'm happiest with and have come back to for multiple recipies and to make the same fantastic recipes again and again.

- Veganomicon, VWAV & Vegan Cupcakes take over the World
- Nonna's Italian Kitchen (basics like vegan white sauce but with lots of variations on ideas)
- The New Soy Cookbook (I've been cooking from this one for a long time. It's not entirely vegan, but it is mostly and there are several great dishes.)
- The Real Food Daily cookbook
- The Cafe Flora Cookbook

The last two are restaurants in L.A. and Seattle respectively that are absolutely great. When the put out cookbooks we had to get them, since we can't visit easily anymore. (sniff sniff) They're kind of on opposite ends of the spectrum, I've found the Real Food Daily cookbook to be surprisingly approachable whereas Cafe Flora is the cookbook you want to go to for some really serious cooking. I mainly say that because the ingredients for the cafe flora recipes have so far seemed to me to be a little more obscure, and the dishes are often made up of several parts. (sauces to drizzle on top, etc.) Both are great cookbooks though and make me think about great restaurants in cities I've been to. Of course I like all of our cookbooks for one reason or another, but these are the ones I get most excited about flipping through.

No comments: