Sunday, September 5, 2010

Art in the Pearl

Today we walked over to the North Park Blocks to check out the Arts festival, Art in the Pearl, that's going on all weekend long. It's a juried arts festival, so there was a good range of painting, furniture, jewelry, etc. All of it was pretty much way out of my price range, but it's always interesting and inspiring to look. Here were some of my favorites:
  • Kimberly Morris - Woven rugs. My mom has a loom, so I'm always drawn to take a look at this type of work. 
  • Natura Designs - Seed pods, Twigs and other elements from nature set in resin and given a modern aesthetic.
  • Diane Archer - Maps and Anatomy drawings with embedded sample jars filled with found objects from nature. I loved the sense of exploring, finding and collecting this evoked all in one glance. 
  • John Charbonneau - Digital collages with anthropomorphic birds and other creatures investigating astrological issues, getting psychoanalyzed etc. There were anthropomorphic cats too.
Lemonade Stand
There was also a popular lemonade stand shaped like a lemon. I hope we get to see this at other events. 

After strolling through the art show we had a late lunch at The Peoples' Sandwich of Portland. This is the second time we've eaten there, the first time was when we came to town to visit and find an apartment. This time they were out of tofu, but were able to accommodate us by making a vegan veggie sandwich that was very good. We also strolled through the Saturday Market, which had all of the usual vendors, but a much larger crowd than usually, probably because of the holiday weekend.


Finally, as we walked home, I once again took way more pictures than I needed of old architecture. I'm having a hard time keeping up and finding out the names of all these buildings, let alone remembering exactly where we were, but I'm doing what I can to label and tag things properly. Also not pictured below, there's a building with lion heads dotting the cornice!:

Governor Building Old Town
Grand Stable and Carriage Building, 1887, 1894 Chinatown

Otherwise, we're having a kind of lazy, simple weekend, enjoying the fact that our cat Lucy is back to her normal behavior. Hope you're having a good Labor Day weekend!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good to hear you are enjoying Portland and glad Lucy is feeling better. I enjoy your pictures.

Unknown said...

Good to hear you are enjoying Portland and glad Lucy is feeling better. I enjoy your pictures.