Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Some little things

Chuck gets cupcakes for his birthday too, it's not just me. Since we're so close in age, I always feel a little relieved when January rolls around and he catches up to me. Chocolate Stout again with Peanut Buttercream Icing, both recipes from Vegan Cupcakes take Over the World. A very good flavor combination, although the effect I was mainly aiming for here was to pick an icing that would look more like beer foam. Works well for that too, although I sprinkled some cocoa on it. Hopefully you're not accustomed to finding bits of cocoa in your beer. This is how you know for sure it's a cupcake.

Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Icing Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Icing

It's been very sunny but cold here this week. (Although, not cold enough to complain about really, when compared to the Midwest right now.) Which is perfectly fine with the cat, who has been sorely missing the sunshine. She finally got several days in a row with it this week, and now has a better handle, I hope, on her prime sun-absorption locations. She's also been obsessing over Wild Salmon treats, we are able to find our favorite brand more easily now that we're living in the northwest again. So a pro for the Northwest for Lucy is salmon treats, while the lack of sun is con. I hope they at least balance each other out.

Lucy & Jade Plant like sun Lucy & Sunshine

And lastly, something finally clicked for me with the whole color-work/intarsia thing. I pulled out a few books on it earlier this week in an attempt to tackle it one more time, but it was the description in the new Stitch'n'Bitch Superstar Knitting book that worked for me. I decided to tackle a small heart swatch! Look at the back here, I think it looks good too. Now I don't know about working on intarsia all the time, me plus lots of bobbins sounds like a recipe for disaster, but maybe there will be a small project here and there in the near future. Maybe even an item or two for the shop, who knows!

Intarsia Heart Swatch

No comments: