Monday, March 21, 2011

Super Moon!

Last Saturday night was a super full moon, where the moon looks up to 14% bigger because it's closer to the Earth than it's been in 20 years. I thought you could definitely tell and it was very pretty!

Super Moon Moon & Tower
My camera is not especially fancy but I try to do with it what I can. I'm actually surprised I got one picture where you can make out just a little of the cool detail visible Saturday night. We were getting clouds on and off; our morning at the market was mostly sunny, but by nightfall the sky seemed to have committed to cloudiness. That made me assume we wouldn't see much, but I was pleasantly surprised. And I really liked the moon breaking through the clouds. A lot more impressive in person. Maybe when the next super moon comes around I'll manage to have a camera that can do it justice, like these people.

Columbia Gorge Portland Spirit Parking

We ended up looking at it on the waterfront, where the Portland Spirit and Columbia Gorge (a paddle boat) boats were enjoying the moon as well.  It made for a peaceful and lovely evening!

3 comments:

Petite Cabbage Press said...

Yes, the clouds rolled in in the evening, but it totally cleared up around 9 (when I went out to look at it). Pretty lucky to see anything astronomical in Portland! I remember missing the Leonids (I think it was the Leonids...) last year...

Unknown said...

I think we missed those in Chicago too. I seem to almost always be somewhere cloudy when astronomical things are happening!

VeganCraftastic said...

so pretty! We missed it here, it was cloudy all day/night.